Friday, June 20, 2014

Experimenting with Some New Poses

It has come to my attention that some readers are tired of the sameness of my poses and my intense smile. Completely unrelated, Jenny of Cashmerette recently dared a few of us bloggers to imitate the poses from this article. Sweet serendipity! It was just too much to pass on the chance to address your feedback, AND accept a dare.

So, in an effort to kill two birds with one stone (and show you that I do not, in fact, have lockjaw, which would explain all this smiling), today I show you my most recent sewing project, The Blanco Peplum Blouse, through a variety of new poses inspired by POSE ARCHIVE. And I invite you to participate in the fun! I dare you not to burst out laughing while trying to do this.
In all seriousness, these comments tickled me (well, at first I was like, "HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH THINGS, I AM DELIGHTFUL", but then I settled down and chortled), and I hope today's post comes off in the good spirit and making-fun-of-myself-ness that was intended.

You'll likely never see the hunched shoulders and pouty faces of a model on this blog. That's just not me! I'm silly and excitable and generally cheerful, especially when it comes to sewing. Although I do have a fair bit of sass, and perhaps some deeply, deeply hidden model talent judging by today's exhibition.

I hope you enjoy the projects I post, that they inspire you, and that we will continue learning from each other. I certainly have enjoyed it over the last year and a half since starting Rosie Wednesday!

Now it's your turn. Show me your pose!

All images not of me are from Tarrah Krajnak's Pose Archive.

69 comments:

  1. Hole in one! I only hope the other bloggers can match the wonder that is this. Also: you are totally delightful and have the best photo face I've ever seen. FACT! I think someone's just jealous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, well thanks Jenny! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just couldn't resist the chance to have a bit of fun with the whole thing. May I suggest pose 3 for your post? Tehehehee

      Delete
  2. Modelling garments I've sewn is so hard for me. I'm naturally a pretty relaxed person but as soon as I get in front of the camera it's like everyone joint I have just seizes up. Love your "model poses" though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard! If you're looking for inspiration, though, pose 6 from the article looks pretty relaxed... Tehehe

      Delete
  3. Too funny! #2 is my fav! I hate taking blog photos..they all end up looking the same to me. Maybe I should give some of these a go.
    AND how can anyone be tired of your smile!? It's contagious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're blog photos are great! But if you're feeling a little stuck, may I suggest some of these.... Tehehehe

      Delete
  4. This is amazing. You are amazing.
    Seriously though, the fact that you seem to be having so much fun while taking your photos is part of the reason I LOVE your blog! You come across as a slightly goofy, fun loving person - exactly my type of gal!
    Please don't stop the cheesy grins and twirling poses, most of us absolutely adore you for it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Taygan! I definitely won't! More twirling poses!!

      Delete
  5. Bwahahah amazing! But wait, someone actually said that about your cheeky smile and posing? They need to chill out. But then on the other hand I suppose I don't want these crazy poses to stop :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yes. I stumbled across some crazy forum post. I figure if you're biggest complaint is I smile too much, I can take it!

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing it was something from GOMI? Those people are horrible! I don't know who actually wants to just post about people they hate all day?!?! I think your poses and smile are adorable.

      Delete
  6. um, huh? i just, what? that's um, i can't. actually. DO PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN?!!

    well, BAH, with this you have proven you're no zoolander. in fact, i think we should have a challenge to do our best rosie wednesday pose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha!!! :) I love it!!
    I just love your smile! It's so inviting and sweet and just totally YOU. I can't believe anyone would complain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I believe you commented on pose 1 and 2 on Facebook... Let's see it! GO ON

      Delete
    2. I'm planning on it just as soon as I finish up this vintage nightgown I'm making. I'm imagining doing these on a vintage couch. hahaha!!!

      Delete
    3. I gasped out loud!! I can't wait!!

      Delete
  8. I love this. Zoolander comes to mind:) These are classic! This could quite actually be a series:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your poses, Joanna!! You always have the best fashion photos!! Let's see a post!

      Delete
    2. You know I also wanted to say...smile...I can't believe anyone would have these judgements:) You are fabulous:)

      Delete
  9. Oh also, just visited the site. Dang! Some of those poses are x-rated lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, yes. The inspiration is from everything from art to pornography Let's just say I picked the more artsy/fashion-y ones!

      Delete
  10. How do people have the time and nerve to make comments like that?? I love your smile! I like the #rosieface idea above... but I think I'm too shy to participate. Big smiles aren't my thing. But that's the brilliance of sewing blogs, we can all do whatever we want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then show us your Kelly face! I so like the idea that a bit of gossip can remind us all how important it us to be just like we are!

      Delete
  11. Love your blog and seeing your clothes and smiling face and natural "you" poses! It feels like we get to see the real you and makes your blog so personable so please carry on lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emma Jane! That's so good to hear. It's so important to me to be genuine!

      Delete
  12. You win the sewing blogosphere! This is hilarious. Nicely done, Lauren!

    I adore your sunny style and poses, lady. How anyone could complain about your happy, delightful smile is beyond me! Moment of solidarity: the same set accused me of having "duck face." Considering I can't make my cheekbones smaller, I have decided to ignore the criticism. That's just my face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you, Mary! You have a wonderful face!! All a bunch of gossip and nonsense. I'm glad you're ignoring it!

      Delete
    2. Please note that you both received complements on that site too. You can't be in the public and not receive criticism. That's life. You take the good. You take the bad...

      Anyway, I've been reading Idle Fancy for years. I'll continue (duck face and all). And Rosie, today you have gained a reader! I'm sure I'm not alone. What a great post!

      Delete
    3. Yes, definitely! I certainly took to heart that amongst the criticism there were some really kind comments that made me glad I continue blogging.That's why I figured we could all have a bit of fun today with some teasing on both sides! :0)

      Delete
  13. Keep on keepin on Lauren: I love your blog, loved meeting you at Gertie's and please don't stop any of this. So much fun on the blogosphere right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep on, keepin' on! It was so fun sewing with you, Annelieke! I hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  14. OMG, i can't believe you are actually pulling off some of these poses! I'm very impressed! Whenever i try to do something other than the facing forward/facing backwards with hands on the hips, i look horrible (at least in my mind). Of course, i think your regular poses are super fun too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there were several others that I definitely didn't pull off. It was a hilarious evening of giggling with a dear friend who was kind enough to come snap the photos for me!

      Delete
  15. Lauren, you are the cutest!! You handled that bizarre critique perfectly. Great post. Sounds like a fun idea for future photo sessions. What a riot!
    Hugs
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you want to participate? Perhaps a future photo session for cuckoo chanel? Wink wink.... :0)

      Delete
  16. Oh, I love your smiles!! :D I also love that you can make fun of yourself and you're not an uptight "sewing snob." Makes me a bigger fan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A.) I love your smile. B.) Internet buttheads are dumb. C.) I love your smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D. Your picture with a muppet today was exceptional.

      And thanks, Sonja!

      Delete
  18. You definitely win the Internet. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, that's quite the compliment! Thank you, Stephanie!

      Delete
  19. You have the best smile of all, and your pictures and posing is unique and makes you being YOU! Don't go changin'!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I wouldn't pay any attention to THEM. After all, what have they ever done, really? I like your smile and your cheerfulness. Just keep on being yourself, sense of humor and all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Moody and inexplicably tortured-looking aren't really your style and I am glad of it! The world needs more happy and smiling girls like you, Miss Lauren. But I think you should throw in a "model" pose every now and then just for our amusement! : ))))))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lauren, you're awesome and your smile is adorable! Don't listen to silly negative internet lurkers and keep doing your thing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What? People don't like your smile? I love it. Don't change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! Don't know how I could anyhow. I've been smiling this way my whole life!

      Delete
  24. When I first stumbled upon your blog I just felt happy seeing your smiley face. In fact I even tried smiling like you cause I'm not sure how you manage to look so fabulously happy. Your smile is like happiness multiplied by 100! Sadly I couldn't replicate it, but am delighted the original smile can be seen regularly on Rosie Wednesday, along with plenty of posing and swirling of skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poppy! I guess it's just a lifetime of practice! I've been smiling this way my whole life!

      Delete
  25. stand your ground! stay just like you are! some people just like to stir things up, wehn I visit your blog I see someone who enjoys what they're doing, that's what draws me to visit , you inspire me to step out & try new things, I look forward to the sew alongs I grarentee you that if you yeild to what they want they wont even bother checking anyways unhappy people never like to be around happy people but they must like something about your blog or they wouldn't keep comming back saying stupid stuff stay the way you are, that's why we all clicked "follow" in the first place & just delete all those negative & hateful comments,if you change for these negative people who wont even be back anyways it will begin to effect you mentally & spiritually & it will come out in your post, I do not want to see a sad Rosie Wed ! your blog is just what it says Rosie! lol! so chin up! take a deep breath & ask yourself why did I start this blog in the first place? I believe you'll find yourself saying because I love it! because this is who I am! this is a journal of my life! I want to let people know that it's ok to cry when they're cutting out a size 20 retro pattern knowing their closet is full of 14's lol had to throw that one in I still laugh when I pull out the dress I did for that challenge, you have taught me to look at patterns in a whole new light so listen to us lauren! we the people love you just the way you are!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and advice, Helen! I'll keep on keepin' on!

      Delete
  26. Hey Lauren, it's my first visit here, and I couldn't not scroll back over some previous posts! Can I just say out loud that I really can not fathom anyone making a less than enthusiastic comment about your radiant smile. Like, really? The humour in your post today just cements my belief that your smile is genuine! Me likey!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! You'll see much more of it, don't worry! I could hardly stop giggling long enough to snap these!

      Delete
  27. I love your smiling and twirling photos - they are so fun and genuine... but these are pretty cool poses too! Way to show versatility :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. 'Posey' poses are so amusing! You look like a lovely, colorful statue in these. Too funny!

    And I love to see your genuine smiles. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I like the idea of being a colorful statue. Thanks, Tasha. :0)

      Delete
  29. Woah I just fell down the toilet hole that is GOMI! Yikes. Keep smiling Lauren! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, "toilet hole" is an excellent phrase for it. Thanks, Laura!

      Delete
  30. Hahahaha!!! This post is AWESOME. Good for you for taking those comments lightly and coming up with a fun way to respond. I love it! Now I'm thinking about working some of these poses into my next photoshoot... LOL. :)

    On a more serious note, I'm surprised that anyone would comment negatively on the "sameness" of your poses and your ever-present big smile. What were they trying to say?? Just be yourself and don't worry about what other people think. I think most people find you delightful anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tehehe, you totally should!! And thank you so much!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.