This little lady is part of the Black Apple embroidery set from Sublime Stitching. I have stitched embroidery patterns from Sublime before (the Ryan Berkley set of dapper animals), and I just love the aesthetic of these patterns. Even when they're from different artists, they share the same sense of whimsy and charm.
Embroidery is one of my favorite things to do while traveling because it's relaxing and easily portable. This darling girl got her start on a work trip to San Jose. I've got a new job and have been traveling a bit more for work, although I've managed to make those trips into sewing ones, too! While in Santa Cruz, I drove out to Hart's Fabric, and this week I'm in Boston, having a ball spending evenings with Jenny of Cashmerette! And all that time at airports means a bit of extra time for handwork.
I found a slightly different frame for this embroidery, owing in part to where I wanted to put her. I have little pockets of books that I have arranged about the house. I like to make them into tiny vignettes, although the reality is it's just overflow from bookshelves, so they must go on the floor! So I got a stand for this little one and propped her up next to a set of books that sits on a stool a family friend made me when I was just a little one.
The other print propped up on the books is from Flapper Doodle. There's an Emily Winfield Martin book in there (the artist of Black Apple), which is quite fitting next to the embroidery art she designed!
She fits right in, don't you think?


She is perfect with her own little stack of books! What a lovely thing to do while you are in transit. Crafty activities on planes have been curtailed rather a lot now that knitting needles and wee scissors are seen as instruments of death! I'm not even sure a crochet hook would be welcome in case it became useful for taking over the cockpit. I have enjoyed Emily's sweet work for years so it is a lovely surprise to find it here on another of my favorite blogs. I am glad I'm not the only one with piles of books. Your ones look much prettier than mine. A house is not a home without books everywhere! XXXX
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Poppy! You know, I've brought knitting needles on planes with great success even as recently as last week. Although I find I'm not a very good knitter on them. We hit a bump, and I drop a stitch!
Delete