Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mema's Pencil Skirt

The Materials

A little while back, we were going through my Mema's house to prepare to sell it. I ended up finding a long forgotten fabric stash in a closet. I used a lot of the scrap materials to make my mama a quilt, but I also found two yards of this wonderful 1960s fabric that feels like a cross between a polyester and a knit to me.


It needed a good washing, and a spritz of white vinegar, to get the smell out, but after that it was as good as new. I immediately knew I wanted to make a pencil skirt out of it, and Simplicity 2154 from their Vintage line seemed like the perfect fit. 


The Pattern, Simplicity 2154

 The Skirt

So here she is! I took a trip out to the capitol building today and decided to bring along my grandpa's old American Tourister suitcase just for photo fun. One of the perks of living in Austin is that no one really bats an eye at this sort of thing. 




What I'd Change 

I did do a muslin of this one to test the fit, but I ended up adding an extra inch at the waist and I wish I wouldn't have. I didn't take into account the fact that this fabric has a bit more give than the muslin I was working with and it's a bit big at the waist. 

I also didn't match the pattern on the fabric and really should have. I still love it, though, and it's perfect for wearing to the office. And it makes me feel a bit like Joan Holloway, which is always an added bonus. 

What's Next

I'm heading to Quiltcon tomorrow, and I'm so excited to get inspired by some beautiful quilts and maybe even bump into some of my favorite bloggers. I'm also hoping I can finish a plaid jumper I've been working on from Gertie's book before the last bit of cold eeks it's way out of Austin.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment