Isn't the setting just beautiful? And if you will allow me to compliment myself for a moment, isn't the dress just beautiful?! I am so pleased with how this one turned out. In between this dress and my Brocade Wiggle Dress, I am ready for some fancy dates. Perhaps I should add this photo to my online dating profile. Kapow!
Or maybe this one? The caption can read "lounging on a tree in Costa Rica, in my handmade masterpiece." The men will love it.
I just couldn't help getting caught up in the moment of the scenery and the dress! It was the perfect combination.
Back to the sewing, though. We talked a lot about construction details in my last post, but there were just a few things I hadn't yet gotten to. Namely, the waist stay and the zipper guard.
The waist stay is a ribbon at your waist, just a little smaller than the dress itself, connecting at the back with a hook and eye. It helps to keep the dress in place, so it stays up, despite being strapless. It's also extremely useful to get into, because you can hook the waist stay before zipping it up.
The zipper guard is another ribbon, placed between the lining and the zipper teeth to keep your zipper from catching when you zip it up. It's an ingenious little detail, and creates a really lovely inside finish.
I find now I am quite keen on "destination sewing" (is that a thing?). The fabric for this project came from a family vacation from Hawaii a few years back, and now with my first outing in the finished garment in Costa Rica, I have such magical memories that I will think of every time I put it on.
As they say in Costa Rica, "Pura Vida"!






Wow! Look at you, Lauren! Such a hottie! That's the perfect locale for that tropical curve-hugging beauty. Simply fabulous! I can imagine you as a pin up in that smoking hot frock!
ReplyDeleteOh, thank you, Tanya!
DeleteBeautifully constructed! Look at all those details! You are my hero:) I love the idea of a zipper guard, you should enlighten us with a tutorial on this:))
ReplyDeleteIt's such a clever little trick. I've had so many garments get caught on my lining, and I've had to redo the handstitching so it's further away from the edge. This is a much nicer finish!
DeleteOh, I also forgot to say, you do look like a bombshell in this dress:) Fitting is perfect!
ReplyDeleteIt was all that help with fitting at our retreat!
DeleteI've got to say, I think that is my favourite Bombshell dress I've seen so far! Really does the name justice :).
ReplyDeleteX
Oh my, thank you so much, Lucy!
Deleteall that hard work paid off, the dress turned out fantastic! now we sit & wait for your next adventure lol!
ReplyDeleteHelen
Hahaha, well, I promise you it won't be nearly as big of an undertaking!
DeleteGorgeous dress!! This pattern has been on my list for a while but I have some techniques to learn before I attempt it. You have me pining for a Hawaiian print now!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rochelle! You could totally manage it! You just have to take it slow and break it up into smaller tasks. It's much less overwhelming that way!
DeleteThe details, wow! The outside is gorgeous, but the inside construction wows me the most! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI'm working on some destination sewing right now, too! Making clothes for events or trips always motivates me. I do it a lot.
Thanks, Emileigh! I need to start doing it more. It's such fun!
DeleteOh it's lovely! I love it when the insides are as pretty as the outsides. Such a great feat!!
ReplyDeleteThe best compliment for a seamstress! Thank you, Liz!
DeleteGreat! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteWhoop what a dress. Jo x
ReplyDeleteWhoopee, thanks!
DeleteGreat job. This is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Meg!
DeleteWowzers! You are definitely smokin' in your Bombshell dress ; )
ReplyDeleteBeautiful fit, gorgeous fabric and amazing details inside and out! Perfection x
Ha cha cha, thank ya!
DeleteTotal bombshell! You look amazing and the fit is absolutely perfect. I like the idea of destination sewing--it's the perfect souvenir from your trip, only you don't have to shop around hoping to find it.
ReplyDeleteExactly! Picking up fabric from a trip has become a favorite of mine, too. I've gotten to wear I just wait to buy fabric until I go somewhere. It's so much more special that way.
DeleteDamn! You look amazing and the dress is gorgeous (not to mention the fabulous scenery, gosh)!
ReplyDeleteThank ya, Allie!
DeleteBeautiful! Very well done!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteLove it!
ReplyDeleteNeed to get on and make mine, hope to look half as good and as happy as you do!
Thanks for showing the insides, I always like to see that. Great photos!
Xxx
Good luck sewing your version!
DeleteWowza! It is so flattering on you! You look absolutely marvelous! You have truly inspired me.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Melissa!
DeleteGorgeous dress! And hahaha, I say you should totally add those pics to your dating profile! The ones who compliment the craftsmanship will help you determine the keepers. :)
ReplyDeleteYou're a smart cookie. I like it as a method to weed out potential dates!
DeleteHot, damn! This looks fantastic! The fit is really fabulous. And, your construction is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteOh wow Lauren your dress looks AMAZING. You nailed this. The fit looks perfect, the fabric choice is spot on and the style is so you. All your hard work was totally worth it.
ReplyDeleteThanks!! Isn't it great when it works out like you hoped?!
DeleteDESTINATION SEWING. IF THAT IS NOT A THING IT SHOULD BE A THING RIGHT NOW!
ReplyDeleteyou look FABULOUS! i can hear the island waves and feel the rays! i'm working on a muslin for this, but of course now i want it in giant hawaiian flowers and not the psychedelic digital ones on my desk :))
Woosh, woooh (some wave noises for you while you sew). Can't wait to see your version, Oona!
DeleteI agree, destination sewing has got to begin!
ReplyDeleteThis is so perfecto, you've taken so much care! Hooray and yes, these photos are beautiful to match! I love the 'leaning on a palm tree casual-like' the best! x
Hahaha, my sister-in-law was taking the photos, and while I was making that pose, I was signing (to the tune of Elf when he goes "I'm singing..."), "I'm leaning... on a tree... here I am leaning..." It added an element of class to the final photo, I think.
DeleteThat dress turned out stunning!! It fits you to a T!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sabrina!
DeleteLauren, so funny but I was pinning away a few weeks ago for a lovely golden era Hollywood tiki sundress and voila! You've gone and made a beaut! Totes pining for Hawaiian florals in my wardrobe now!
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah!! I'm glad it helped you find what you were looking for!
DeleteBombshell rocks!! you look amazing :)
ReplyDelete