As I'm sure you can see, I chose the border print part of the sari for the skirt. I gathered it so that I could use it exactly as is, without having to do any additional hemming. For the bodice, I used the heavily embroidered section of the sari. I loved the neckline from the wiggle dress I made last November and decided to use that as my guide. It's a lovely boatneck in the front and deep V in the back, perfect to show off the gorgeous print.
I originally had much different ideas for construction. I had planned to underline the bodice, but I found that it sewed fairly well on its own. I used a size 10 needle for the entire time, and just took it very slowly, test stitching on scraps before I attempted anything with the finished fabric. I ended up lining the bodice in a cranberry silk sateen. It feels lovely!
For the skirt, I thought I would need a lining, but realized it was completely opaque once I got it constructed, so I skipped that step. This section of the sari gathered wonderfully, but didn't take to seams particularly well. It bunched a bit, something a steam iron would normally press out, but I was concerned that high heat would melt it. I used a lower heat and a press cloth, which worked OK.
The interesting, and wonderfully delightful, part about the sari was each piece felt and sewed so differently. The bodice felt like sewing a brocade, but the skirt felt more like some sort of nylon. It was a thrill to work on, and I can't wait to wear it to the big event!





Lovely, lovely dress, Lauren! I have a bit of an obsession with Indian culture--I love Bollywood movies and music, adore the food, hope to learn Hindi one day, and have always wanted to wear a sari! I bet you will have SO MUCH fun at your friend's wedding, and the guests will love your dress!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nicole! You should sew yourself a sari dress! It's a total blast.
DeleteStunning! You've outdid yourself with this one, beautiful dress!
ReplyDeleteHelen
Thank you very much, Helen!
Deletelovely - totally you but perfect for the fabric!
ReplyDeleteThank you! That's one of the best things about sewing to me - you can branch out and try so many new things while I also remaining true to your style!
DeletePerfect dress for the occasion!
ReplyDeleteThank ya, miss!
DeleteWhat a gorgeous dress! I really love how you used the sari and the bodice mimics the border of the skirt. Enjoy the wedding festivities!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Tasha!
DeleteWhat a stunner! You really made the most of the sari and the final result looks fan dabby dosi as my dad would say :)
ReplyDeleteThat is an excellent expression!
DeleteThis is a gorgeous dress! I love your interpretation of the sari dress! Again, it's so lovely!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Kathy!
DeleteI LOVE IT! I can't wait to see it at the wedding, you are going to be a huge hit. Bring some business cards, I see some custom orders in your future (at least one from me)!!
ReplyDeleteOh, yes ma'am!
DeleteBeautiful, a great job.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Shelley Lou!
DeleteFabulous interpretation, enjoy the wedding x
ReplyDeleteThank you, I will!
DeleteWhat a wonderful use of a gorgeous fabric! Suits you beautifully. Have a great time at the wedding -- what fun.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Melwyk!
DeleteThat's one gorgeous dress! How beautiful for a wedding. You did a great job on it.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteForgive my confusion - does "sari" refer to the dress itself, or to the fabric? I always thought it meant the dress, but the way you use it seems to imply it's the fabric. Or maybe I'm just all muddled. :)
ReplyDeleteEither way, beautiful dress, and enjoy the wedding!
As I understand it, sari is the name of the fabric, and then there are different ways to wrap it that suit the event and/or the particular part of India you come from. At least, that's the synopsis I got the other night at dinner with my friend!
DeleteThis is gorgeous! I LOVE mixes of traditional clothing and western vintage, and this is a beautiful example. I'm going to tweet it!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Emileigh!
DeleteLove this dress. The contrast between bodice and skirt is wonderful
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kaitlyn! It's all the sari!
DeleteLovely!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Siri!
DeleteAbsolutely perfect, I love how you used the border print. Stunning. Totally stunning.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Louise! Plotting out how to use a border print is one of my favorite things to do!
DeleteGorgeous frock, such a pretty colour and you have showcased the fabric beautifully. I have a sari stashed that I get out routinely and pet, not really knowing what to do with it but loving looking at it as it as the fabric is so spectacular. Maybe I'm overthinking it as you have shown simple is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you! The sari was such a showstopper, I felt like all I needed to do was get out of the way for it!
DeleteSo elegant! Perfect for a wedding. Love the gold sandals!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Poppy! I've had them for ages and hardly ever worn them. I feel like they were just waiting for this dress!
Delete