Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Tale of Two Patterns: Butterick 5895 & Simplicity 2195

Behold, my first pair of pants! And a lovely 1950s blouse.

Rosie Wednesday Butterick 5895

Rosie Wednesday Butterick 5895

Rosie Wednesday Butterick 5895

The Pants

The pattern is Butterick 5895, a high-waisted pant created by Gertie for Butterick. I used a wool gabardine in black for the fabric. 





I must tell you, I was terrified to sew pants. I figured they'd come out all wonky and I'd be grappling over fit for months. I was wrong - these were a dream to sew! I only had two small alterations, which were easy to spot thanks to my body graph
  1. I took the waist in an inch. Normally, I add an inch to the waist, but I went up a size on these pants to get a good fit in the hip. 
  2. I had to take in the right leg a little bit, because of Slim

Rosie Wednesday Butterick 5895


I got some denim to do a lighter version for summer because I like these so much, and eyelet cotton to do the blouse that's also in the pattern. So hooray for pants!

The Blouse

The pattern is Simplicity 2195, a 1950s blouse pattern. I got the fabric from Hart's in Santa Cruz, and it's reproduction Feedsack Cotton (!). 


Rosie Wednesday Simplicity 2195

I've noticed in the past few weeks some other sewing bloggers that have an obsession with stitching up blouses like these, Handmade Jane and Tasha of By Gum By Golly. I think I might be similarly addicted... I already have fabric for a gingham version that I can monogram and a sleeveless version in another reproduction feedsack! 

Creativity is Contagious, Pass it On! 

Don't be afraid to sew pants, people! I can now say for certain it's not nearly as scary as you have built it up to be in your head.

Rosie Wednesday Butterick 5895



13 comments:

  1. Isn't it a great feeling to put on that first pair of handmade pants and have them actually fit pretty well? The possibilities are endless. Your whole outfit looks great, and the print of that blouse is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's wonderful! Thank you for the compliments! The print is spectacular.

      Delete
  2. Alas, I'm not a seamstress, but you HAD ME AT REPRODUCTION FEEDSACK!! How completely awesome! I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ya, this one turned out so well, I'm super excited about using the other reproduction feedsack. More to come!

      Delete
  3. They look great! The body graph is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find it works pretty well. At the very least, it helps me understand what's going on, which is usually more than half the battle!

      Delete
  4. Did the pattern explain how to do fabric covered buttons? Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna! The pattern didn't explain it. My great-grandmother was actually a professional seamstress and I am lucky enough to have her industrial button makers from the 1940s. I use that and her supplies to make all my buttons. I have seen a tutorial on Gertie's blog that might help you, though: http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2010/02/covered-button-tutorial.html.

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you! This helps out a lot. I've also seen vintage ones too but these look just as nifty.

      Delete
  5. I made several pairs of pants for myself in my younger more-standard-body-shape days. I am about to have room again in my house for my sewing machine, so I intend to get started again, but since it's been at least ten years since I had to measure my body, i'm intimidated at the prospect--and the likely results. I love these patterns, though, I love crop pants because I'm so tall it's hard to get pants to fit both length and waist, and that top pattern is one I can use over and over! Great blog, I plan on following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't having a space in sewing so important? I totally get the fear on facing your measurements, but I always find it's so much better to have a garment that fits you properly than to stress over the number I see on the measuring tape. Good luck with the pants and happy sewing!

      Delete