Wednesday, May 1, 2013

New Look 6587 with a Ric Rac Flourish

Happy May Day! I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but in Texas it's already getting pretty hot. That means it's time to start the sundress sewing!

Rosie Wednesday New Look 6587

Rosie Wednesday New Look 6587

It's a little bit tough to tell in some of these pictures, but I've included ric rac all around the neckline of the dress, as well as at the pockets.

Rosie Wednesday New Look 6587

Isn't it fun? Fabric-covered buttons also make me giddy. Really and truly. I'm sure you're starting to notice that I use them any chance I get. 

The fabric is actually a Ralph Lauren Cotton. It's slightly heavier weight though and I think intended for home dec. I really liked using it though because it gave a little bit of stiffness to the flare of the skirt. 

Rosie Wednesday New Look 6587


I really enjoy this pattern. It's has princess seams, which I like the fit of much better than plain 'ole darts. It also has a nice flare at the skirt. It's just gathered with basting stitches all the way around and then attached to the bodice. All in all, it feels like a 1950s house dress to me. 

The weather was very muggy on the day we took these pictures, so I had my hair in curlers tucked away for the better part of the morning to make sure it didn't fall! 

Rosie Wednesday New Look 6587

Also, let's pause for a moment to talk about how much I needed a parasol. I mean, right? 


Toodle loo! 

11 comments:

  1. Great, casual dress! That ric rac application always makes me think vintage. Your flowery setting is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! I might go ric rac crazy now. It really does add a fun vintage touch!

      Delete
  2. Really cute, I love the big pockets and retro vibe! I wish it was spring here in Northern New Mexico. We don't even have leaves on the trees yet. sigh. I've still been sewing up lots of sundresses too, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan! At least you can always wear them with cardigans. We've had a few unseasonably cool days here in Austin lately, and that's what I've been doing!

      Delete
  3. wow gorgeous, love love love it.

    http://sugarplumandsaddleshoes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It looks like you have some wonderful recipes on your blog. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Cute dress! I love the ric rac application. And the setting is gorgeous, I feel envy because here right now is raining a lot :-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's Texas Hill Country at its best. Stay dry!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog and I love your vintage style. I am a sewer / blogger as well but am focusing on machine embroidery. See: http://www.machineembroiderygeek.com/machineembroideryblog - I am wondering if you do any embroidery as well and what vintage iconography you might envision. Many of my embroidery designs are vintage inspired. I am just thinking.... it would be super fun to somehow collaborate. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! Thanks so much for stopping by! I hadn't thought about it, but now that you mention it my mind is racing with ideas from recreating Joan's rose applique dress in Mad Men to 1950s style cardigans to embellishing shirtwaist dresses. Drop me a line and we can chat! rosiewednesday@gmail.com

      Delete