Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Colette Taffy

Another gem from the Colette Sewing Handbook! This is the Taffy.


Rosie Wednesday Colette Taffy

Rosie Wednesday Colette Taffy

Sewing Air

I used Silk Georgette for this top from The Common Thread, a local fabric shop here in Austin. I've never sewn a silk before, so this was a new experience for me. 

In the end, I found cutting to be the most challenging. I used masking tape to tape my fabric to my hardwood floor so that it wouldn't slip around so much while cutting. I thought it worked fairly well, until I started sewing and discovered my front top was all wobbly at the bottom ends. So perhaps not as precise as I had hoped...I saw on Colette Snippets today that they recommended a fabric spray stabilizer, so I will have to try that next time. 

Sewing turned out to be just fine, despite the airy quality of the fabric. I loved doing the French seams. They just look so beautiful. 

Bias Woes

Like a complete ninny, I forgot to staystitch my neckline as soon as I cut. The end result was that my neckline stretched quite a bit when I applied the bias tape. So my two options were...

 I could have worn it like this, with a lovely droop in the middle. 

Or like so, as a kind of off the shoulder number.

As I'm sure you can tell by my face, I wasn't too keen on either of those options. I also didn't want to put a dart because the fabric is so sheer. 

I got a stroke of genius, though, and remembered I had elastic thread in a bobbin from the shirring I did on my shirtwaist dress. So I ripped out the stitches on the bias tape, sewed a line with elastic thread in the bobbin, and it fixed the problem! The little bit of gathering just looks like it's part of the design of the top, so it worked out splendidly.



The Flutter Sleeves

I've seen quite a few posts where people have said that the largeness of the flutter sleeves bothered them on this top. I actually quite like them! What do you think? 

Rosie Wednesday Colette Taffy

Rosie Wednesday Colette Taffy

Until next time, remember to staystitch those curves!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the light fabric you used. This top is on my list to make, just waiting to find the right fabric. Great idea to use the elastic thread to fix your neckline! On my last Peony dress I made that mistake and now my neckline is gaping in the front. Lesson learned about staystitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How did you like the Peony? I've got the Ceylon on my list to sew. I've enjoyed the Handbook so much, I might try some more Colette Patterns.

      Delete
  2. I liked it so much I made 3! I still haven't made anything from the book, I'm looking forward to trying some of those. I haven't met a Colette pattern I didn't like! So far I've made the Beignet, Peony, Hazel, Jasmine Blouse, and Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! You're quite the Colette Pro. I'm excited to give some of the others a try.

      Delete
  3. It was so nice to meet you tonight at La Dell's home. I had to get right on to your blog and I am in love with all your creations! This blouse is wonderful you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia! It was great meeting you, too. And thanks for the tips on other fabric spots here in Austin!

      Delete