Monday, July 22, 2013

Traveling Handmade

Surprise! I've actually been traveling in Europe for 10 days and just returned! I did a bit of scheduled publishing magic while I was away. We did a few days each in Berlin, Prague, Salzburg, and Vienna. It was an absolute dream.

I brought a lot of my handmade clothes with me on this trip, so I thought I would share the excitement of my travels with you and show these clothes in far away places! I also have a few tips for those of you that are traveling with garments you've made.


Pink Circle Skirt near Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin.

Drinking Becherovka, a "medicinal" liqueur at the Prague Castle in my Hawaiian Shirtwaist dress

Wearing my Picnic Blanket Skirt on the train to Salzburg while embroidering.

In the gardens of the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna in New Look 6587.

My Tips for Traveling Handmade

1. Pack your handmade garments in your carry-on luggage. 
Perhaps I am paranoid, but I packed all the garments that I sewed in a carry-on bag. I couldn't stand the thought of the airline losing my luggage and all that love and work disappearing. I was glad I did when we ended up waiting over 2 hours for our baggage when we returned to the states. It was a close call!

2. Pack a Tide pen, or comparable stain remover. 
I spilt goulash, a popular stew-like dish in the Czech Republic, all over my Hawaiian shirtwaist dress one evening. I was so thankful that I packed a Tide pen to remove the stain. Imagine what that would do to the fabric after a few days sitting in my suitcase!

3. Pack comfortable shoes to go with your stylish handmade clothes. 
Fancy shoes just won't do for all the walking you do in Europe. I really like Keds tennis shoes. They've been around since 1916, and I find them to be timeless in style and very comfortable. They keep a nice vintage touch to my ensemble. 

4. Pack a needle and thread. 
Just in case any buttons fall off or whatnot. I find it's always good to keep a little sewing case with you. 

There you have it! There will be many more photos to come of my trip. I sewed 3 new garments in anticipation of my worldly travels!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time, I love your clothes especially the hawaiian shirt dress, I am fairly new to sewing, unfortunately I had a sewing teacher at school who was a right dragon, bless her, she put me off sewing for life...or so I thought, my hubby bought me a sewing machine a couple of years ago which I love, but I've only made small things, I'm hoping to be able to make my grandaughters a couple of things to wear, they are going to be my next project!!! Am I nervous??? YES I am, but I'm determined to do it!! I have found inspiration through lovly people like you, so I'd like to say thank you. I only recently found your page on facebook but will look forward to hearing about and seeing more of your work, bless you Lauren, hugs, Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jackie! What kind words. Good luck with your upcoming sewing projects! Feel free to email me at any time if you have questions or need help. I love helping new seamstresses.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.