Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Summer Sewing Uniform

A few months ago, I discovered the Wiksten tank. I was wearing it so often while I sewed that I decided to stitch up a few more versions. I like to pair it with leggings, and now it's a real habit that I slip on one of these when I sit down at the machine.



Why I love this "uniform":

1. It's cool and airy. Texas is hot! My sewing room is in the front of my house where I get a lot of sun, so it's nice to wear something that keeps me cool.

2. It's easy for fitting. I can easily slip off the tank and keep the leggings on to fit whatever I'm working on. It makes things super simple to adjust quickly and get back to it.

3. I can wear it out of the house. I have a terrible habit of coming to the sewing table missing 1 or 2 of the supplies I need. I get so excited to get started I never remember to get everything! There's nothing like bumping into a coworker at Joann's Fabric looking like you've been in a cave since you left the office on Friday. The Wiksten tank is so cute, I don't need to worry!

A Closer Look at Each Version 

This is the first one I sewed and has sweet little foxes on it. The fabric is designed by Aneela Hoey. 


The second is a 70s-style floral print. The plaid pattern on the petals reminds me of the wallpaper that used to be at my grandparents house. 



And the last is spools of thread! So very fitting for a sewing uniform, don't you think? 



What do you like to wear while you sew? 

8 comments:

  1. just adorable! Love your clothes line pic too. - Lacy Rohre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lacy! If you look closely, you can spot my brother's dog, too! :0)

      Delete
  2. YES! I need these tank tops for fitting too. It's so annoying being dressed and then having to constantly get undressed to try things on. I end up walking around the house in a slip when sewing because it's so annoying having to get redressed, but I can't quite leave the house wearing just my slip, a tad inappropriate I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a slip is actually a really good idea! Minus the going out of the house bit. I hope you post it if you stitch up a tank!

      Delete
  3. Your sewing outfit is so cute :) Isn't it great to have a good, simple woven tank pattern? All three of these are so cute, and would look good under a cardigan in the winter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! I love staple patterns like these. Thanks, Kelly!

      Delete
  4. foxes!? so cute! and then I saw the thread one and that's even cuter! i usually sew in PJs or old ratty t-shirts. sometimes I get up out of bed and immediately want to sew so then it's like 5 hrs later and I still look like a frumpy mess and I'm hungry because I've forgotten to eat!

    i like your easy-to-fit idea with the leggings and pullover top. having to constantly change in and out of clothes that I'm sewing is always annoying, why not make it easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I've been there too. I can definitely say sewing is the only reason that I will forget to eat. Otherwise, it's constantly top of mind. I end up sleeping in this ensemble a lot, too. I just crash into bed after sewing all night!

      Delete