Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Simplicity 3833, A Shapely Shift

Oh, the classic shift dress! I think like most curvy girls, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it for its easy style and 60s vibe, but it also doesn't do much to highlight or conceal my figure. UNTIL I found Simplicity 3833, a 1960s pattern reprint. I love this shapely shift.



Having just come out of Emery Month, I don't think any of you will be surprised to hear I've made this one before! I actually stitched it up a few years ago with a bit of color blocking and it's one of my most-worn dresses (pre-blogging, although you can see version 1 on Pinterest). It's such an easy thing to put on and go when you don't feel like a lot of fuss. 



I found the fabric when I was in Prague over the summer and knew it would be perfect for a shift. Red is by far my favorite color to wear!


The front of this dress is actually three pieces stitched together. The bust darts are dart seams, meaning that the raw edges of the dart come together to form a seam. It helps to give it some shape!

And Now a Query for You, Dear Reader

I've been thinking about doing a sew along, which is basically where we all stitch up the same garment together and I do a series of posts to walk you through it. What do you think about this dress for a sew along? Any other pattern suggestions?

Source

A shift dress is a great way to get started with vintage sewing if you're new to it or a great staple in your wardrobe even if you've been sewing for awhile. Would you want to get started this winter, or wait until spring? Let me know in the comments! 

19 comments:

  1. Very cute! I just love dresses like this, they're so easy to wear. You look happy in this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! It's pretty easy to be happy when you're wearing a handmade dress.

      Delete
  2. This dress is lovely on you! :) I would love to join your sew along! I have a lot going on during the winter, so I would prefer the spring. I'll join it whenever it is though. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! Yes, I'm thinking spring is the thing.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to give this dress a try. Maybe a January sew along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! January would be great. I bet lots of people have New Year's Resolutions around learning to sew, too!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic idea, I put my measurements into one of these on line shape things an I came out as a brick, can't think of anything less flattering lol needless to say I'm a complete beginner and at a loss as to what to sew that would fit. I think this dress of your could be just the ticket xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Ha! Well, thanks Oona! Now that I know that, I will tell you that I love the most boring thing you ever made. I'm excited to see what becomes of that dress!

      Delete
  6. Ooh! Cute fabric and the dress really looks lovely on you! I have a BIG problem with shift dresses (being a little too well endowed in the bottom and bust area makes them look like sacks on me!), so maybe this pattern is the way forward! How exciting! I love the pattern for the sewalong, but I might not be able to find it out here in Singapore :-( I will certainly try though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I hope you can get it through Simplicity.com. It looks like they do some international shipping!

      Delete
  7. January would be perfect for me here - smack bang in the middle of the Australian summer and right when a simple, breezy frock will be most appreciated :o)

    I'm IN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Total swinging sixties cuteness going on here! You're spot on, us lasses who have been blessed with lots of luscious curves can have a rather tricky time with shirt dresses. I've found that for me personally, the type of neckline involved, as well as the hem length, can make a major difference. If the neckline is to high up or too round, this style of dress becomes on of the most unflattering on me, but if it's more scoped, squared or sweetheart-ish, then I'm usually on the road to having things turn out more flatteringly. I think this cut (and pattern) look terrific on you - very pretty and ladylike!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! That's smart about the neckline and makes complete sense.

      Delete
  9. This is so cute! Love the fabric you picked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tilly! It has the added bonus of being bought on a vacation, so I get a little smile and memory of Prague when I wear it!

      Delete
  10. SO CUTE... I bought the pattern a long time ago, and never used it.Now, I want to make it.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I hope you'll join us for the sew along! We're just getting going!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.