Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Emery Month: Fall for Cotton

My final version of the Emery Dress (for now, at least) is made to order for autumn. This fabric is just right for Tasha and Rochelle's Fall for Cotton sewing challenge. 100% cotton and a leaf print?! I couldn't have dreamed up better!


It's rather stereotypical, but fall makes me think of the beginning of a new school year. So I made a jaunt to my alma matter, The University of Texas, to capture this leafy dress in one of the libraries.


I love the 3/4 sleeves of this version! It also looks dashing with a cardigan. It's a bit too toasty here in Austin for it just yet, but it will be perfect when there's just a hint of a chill in the air.



I did the collar in a matching mustard to really make it stand out. The underside of the collar is in the same leafy fabric. 


I am a total ninny and didn't realize my zipper was off at the top (by a ghastly FOUR teeth!) until I had already hand stitched the lining to it. A result of too much wine drinking and Wonder Years watching while handpicking the zipper. Somehow, I will live with this reminder of my imperfections. Never fear! I had fun doing it, which is really the important bit in the end.


I also discovered the UT library has rows of sewing books, a fact I never knew while studying there. I wanted to make myself cozy in the stacks and settle in for a good read, but I had plans with real people, so the host of sewing instructors immortalized in print had to wait. 


What's Next

15 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable! All of your Emery versions are too, too cute. I think this one might *just* be my favorite, thanks to that dreamy mustard collar. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I'm torn. I don't know that I could say which is my favorite!

      Delete
  2. The dress turned out absolutely killer! I love that print! Btw; there is no such thing as too much wine when sewing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this fabric in the store and i love it more as a dress. and i like the collar on this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya, Dixie! Yes, these were all shop hop buys!

      Delete
  4. Very, very cute. I love the contrasting collar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I think it's the best part.

      Delete
  5. My word, I really can't remember the last time I saw more cuteness or style at work in a library. Aren't royal blue and mustard/saffron incredible together? I can't get enough of either colour, especially around this time of you. You really look fantastic, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica! What a wonderful comment!

      Delete
  6. You look just like Peggy Olson in early seasons of Mad Men! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete