Monday, November 11, 2013

Wearing History 1940s Overalls

Happy Veteran's Day! Here in the states, we're honoring all those that have fought for our freedom. I thought today would be a great day to post my 1940s overalls from Wearing History. They've got a great Rosie the Riveter flair. So in honor of the women that contributed to the war effort before they could fight, I give you this Rosie in her overalls!







For some reason, I really struggled with the construction of the button plackets. After four tries, I figured it out, but I realized later I had still botched it up a bit. I placed the buttons on the front and and buttonholes on the back, when it should have been the other way around. Functionally it's fine, but asthetically it looks a bit better the other way. 


I chose to do a lining on the bodice front and selected a baby blue cotton for the fabric. It made for a really nice finish on the inside. If you saw Brittany of Va-Voom Vintage's overalls in July, our buttons are almost a complete match! 


The truck is a 1949 pickup my brother has restored. It's the perfect era to match the overalls. He also has a keg for a gas tank, which is so neat! 


And lookie! My socks are sewing themed! 


I really liked this pattern, and will likely give a few other variations of it a try at some point. A shorter version for a summer romper would be great, and trousers would be so fun!

Happy Veteran's Day to all of you, and thank you so much for your service! 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh -- I've been in the middle of making these for over a month -- I absolutely love them on you. And, what a timely post for Veteran's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! They are SO fun to wear. Good luck finishing your pair!

      Delete
  2. These are so cute! Don't worry about the button plackets, no one will know the difference (I wouldn't have if you hadn't pointed it out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I always like that Julia Child said, "No excuses! No apologies!" I still love them!

      Delete
  3. These look great!! I made them earlier this summer, and had trouble with the side placket too. I found the instructions to be a tad cryptic, but we are nothing if not creative ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw your version! I loved the nautical buttons. I'm glad to hear I wasn't alone on the plackets.

      Delete
  4. OMG these looks great! heck, the entire outfit looks great. the red buttons are the best, criss cross back, front pockets, it's all adorable!

    btw, is that a wooden truck bed?? he did an awesome job restoring that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixie! Yes, it's a wooden truck bed! I remember he did all sorts of fancy stuff, including a bit with a torch, to get some texture on it. Man-crafting!

      Delete
  5. great overall! love the vintage outfits! :D
    love the car at the backgroud too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patricia! The car is my brother's that he restored, so I will make sure to pass along your compliments!

      Delete