Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sewing Inspiration: Glamour 75th Anniversary

Next month, Glamour magazine celebrates their 75th anniversary. It inspired me to take a look back at old Glamour covers from the decades I love. It turned out to be a wonderful source for sewing ideas as we transition from winter to spring! Here are a few of my favorites with ideas on how you could recreate them.

Bow Detail from May 1943 

Aren't these bows just darling? I love that the detail at the neckline is mimicked at the pockets.

Source

Recreate this look: 

Beachside Tunic from May 1954

Gollies, don't you just want to go wherever she is? I'm sure that's especially the case for all of you still caught in throes of winter. This model is described as wearing a "candy-striped tunic" over black swimsuit. 
Source

Recreate this Look 

Blue Suit from February 1960

I love everything about this photo. All this matchy-matchyness is just perfection. 
Source

Recreate this Look 

Wasn't that fun?! I could do this for ages! Congratulations Glamour on 75 wonderful years of fashion! 

8 comments:

  1. The bows on that first one are so charming! There are also several 1940s top patterns with that exact same silhouette and neckline that you could easily throw a skirt on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "candy-striped tunic" - so much cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Please do more like this, I love seeing ways to recreate these gorgeous vintage styles :)

    Taygan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I will! It's so fun to hunt for these things. I'm glad to hear other people enjoy reading it!

      Delete
  4. i never knew Glamour magazine was that old! I love the beach tunic, though despite living in Sydney, i haven't been to a beach in 3 or so years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so neat. Sounds like you need a trip to the beach!

      Delete