Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dapper Day Sewing

It's almost time…!
Have you heard of Disney's Dapper Day? It's a stupendous day of dressing up in your finest at Disney and enjoying the park with others that are equally dressed to the nines. There are some special activities in the park as well as events afterwards like a jazz evening at the Grand Floridian. I'll be attending at Walt Disney World this weekend with my friend Andi.

Guys, I can hardly contain myself. This is a magical combination of things I hold very dear - Disney and vintage! Can you just imagine walking down main street, dressed in your vintage best? It gives me tingles! I've been busily sewing dresses for the two of us, and thought I would give you a peek today!

Dapper for Me 

I'm making Butterick 8408 for me, a pattern from 1958. My dress will be almost identical to the one on the right. Look at those bows! I also love that the pattern says "Magic to Make" at the bottom right. BECAUSE I'LL BE WEARING IT AT THE MOST MAGICAL PLACE ON EARTH!

Source
I decided on linen for my fabric. I know it wrinkles terribly, but I love sewing with it and it's so comfortable to wear. I choose a deep red, and it looks lovely. 

Source
The pattern has some interesting construction details like a zipper inserted in a dart that I'll share more with you later. The skirt is also extremely full! Look at this! That's the actual skirt, already cut and sewn together just waiting to be gathered. Oxford demonstrates scale for you.


Dapper for Andi 

Andi told me that she wanted me to sew her The Marfa dress, which was one of the dresses I designed in my pattern making class. I was so honored that she picked one of my designs! That's a good friend. It has six darts at the neckline, cap sleeves, and a full skirt. 

Me in The Marfa Dress

We started our designs in class with slopers we purchased (see more about the process I used for buying a sloper), so I took Andi's measurements and ordered her a custom one. We fit that, and then I did the design work to make it a Marfa. 

For her fabric, I'm using the same textured rayon I used for mine, this time in a royal blue. 

Source
Plus, we've been scheming and plotting all sorts of accessories to wear, like the 1950s white gloves you see above! Squeee!!! I simply cannot wait. Now if I can just get over the truly horrendous stomach virus that has plagued me for a few days! Fingers crossed. If I have to live on crackers and gatorade for four days in the parks, so be it! To Dapper Day I go! 

16 comments:

  1. Oh, you are going to have the best trip ever, Lauren! How fun! All of my CA friends go the Disneyland Dapper Day every year and it looks like a vintage lover's heaven. When I finally go, I have dreams of a 1950s version of Sleeping Beauty's Briar Rose outfit.

    I cannot wait to see your finished vintage Butterick! Those bows are too, too divine and that color is so cheery. It's going to be fabulous on you. Also, you're such a generous friend - Andi's Marfa dress is going to be lovely in that color!

    Have a (magical) blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mary, your dream sounds stupendous!! You have to do it! I saw Pinup Girl Clothing released a sneak peak of an Aurora Dress (http://instagram.com/p/kpWU36iX-z/), and for the first time in ages I desperately wanted to buy a dress. Too bad it's not coming out in time for my trip!

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a wonderful day! Disney thinks of everything, doesn't it? Both dresses are lovely and I'm looking forward to your big reveal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! The moment I heard about it, I knew I had to attend! I've been eagerly devouring all the online content about it I can find. I can't wait to share my experience!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like so much fun - can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see your finished dresses! I've always wanted to go to Dapper Day. Oh how I wish we had Disneyland/World in Australia!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so fun if you did!! I wonder if you can petition for those things.

      Delete
  5. I'm very anti-modern-Disney, so I've pretty much sworn off going back to Disneyworld as an adult, but I would actually make an exception for that! Especially if the food options traveled back in time too lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny that you say that. The Hall of Presidents used to be one of my favorite attractions, and it made me so mad last time I went that they took all the wonderful animatronics and replaced it all with giant TV screens. This will be fun for sure!

      Delete
    2. Exactly. I wish they'd left Disney as it was. I have so many wonderful memories of Disney as a kid. There's a really great podcast, by the way, by Stuff You Missed In History Class about the conception/building of the Haunted Mansion. The technicians who did all the special effects were brilliant!

      Delete
    3. Oh, thank you for sharing that!! I can't wait to listen to it!

      Delete
  6. What a fun idea for a day. Looking forward to your big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh! so exciting! I've been hearing so much about dapper day. i hope to see lots of photos of your magical adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, first round of photos is up, and 2 more sets coming! I hope people don't get sick of hearing me talk about Dapper Day! :0)

      Delete