Thursday, March 20, 2014

Floral-Embroidered Coco

Have you seen Tilly and the Button's Coco pattern yet? It's a great knit tee, with lots of opportunities for customization. For this one, I hand-embroidered flowers on a purple interlock knit.
I've never sewn with knit before, and knowing Tilly's great instructions and attention to detail, I knew this would be a great way to dive in! It was so easy to sew this top, and very quick to make. This is a size 5 sewn with no fit adjustments, although I did shorten the sleeves. You know I live in Texas, right?  It fits almost perfectly, except a small forward-shoulder adjustment I plan to make on future versions (ho ho, there will be more, just you wait).

The interlock knit is so soft and cozy. I used stay tape to stabilize the shoulder seams and neckline, and I plan to try ribbon next. The stay tape is a bit scratchy. I sewed all my seams with a serger (although Tilly has instructions even if you don't have a serger), and then the top stitching is done with a zig zag stitch.
I typically wear my shirts tucked in with skirts or high-waisted pants, but I wanted to show you the nice curve of the tee, so I snapped a few photos with jeans. There's vents on either side near the hem to give it some extra flair. I might try taking these out for my next version, as I have my own natural built-in flair, if you know what I mean.

Hand-Embroidered Flower

If you follow me on Instagram, you got a peek of this while it was in work (as well as my next embroidery project for another Coco!). I LOVE this detail and am so happy with how it turned out. Look at how happy I am. It's just bursting out of me! 
Oh, yeah. You wanted to see the embroidery up close. My camera is going a bit wibbly wobbly and fuzzy sometimes right now, so this was the best I could manage on a zoom.
I found the template for this lovely flower from The Makery. 
Source
I followed the exact same steps from my tutorial- embellish a dress with cross stitch. You iron-on transfer the pattern, apply interfacing to stabilize the area, and then I used a satin stitch for the actual embroidery. Isn't it great fun?!

31 comments:

  1. Wow, your Coco looks great! I especially love the embroidered flower, I never would have thought to do that....but I think it's special touches like these that really make an outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I completely agree; adding those special touches is one of my favorite things about sewing my own clothes!

      Delete
  2. this is gorgeous and your embroidered flower is just perfect! for some reason i'd never have thought about embroidering on knits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you, Joanne! It's pretty easy to do, you just need to make sure you get the proper interfacing!

      Delete
  3. LOVES!!!!! That embroidery detail is soooo cute! Can't wait to see your other one too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tilly!! I am loving this pattern. It's such a fun make. Lots more to come! I'll be channeling Laverne for the next one... :0)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!! This pattern looks so great, I may not be able to resist! I love your flower embroidery too, it really makes the look special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't resist! It's such an easy sew, and very easy to wear, too.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely lovely! Your embroidery is just gorgeous and really takes this shirt to the next level. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend!I have a feeling this might eek it's way into one of my most-often worn makes. As soon as it warms up a bit more, I'll be wearing it weekly!

      Delete
  6. When I embroider on knits, I iron on tear away interfacing to the front side, then iron on the pattern to the interfacing. This is especially good on very dark knits, like black. A great method from sublime stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's an excellent tip!! Thank you for sharing it!

      Delete
  7. That's so cute and the embroidery must have been really fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely, the embroidery really lifts such a simple and stylish pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaitlyn! I'm looking forward to trying it with stripes, too.

      Delete
  9. Ooh, pretty! The embroidery is a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren your embroidery is gorgeous! All the lovely colours, the purple, red and green...they all pop against each other. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! You know, when I first started embroidering it I wondered if I didn't pick the best combinations, but I really love it in the end. Must have just been the crummy light I embroider by in my living room!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. A perfect French-inspired place to take Coco photos! :)

      By the way, do you ever go to any Austin sewing meetups?

      Delete
  12. That embroidery is the bees knees! Lovely with the purple coloured top

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely that you did your own embroidery on your blouse. A lovely color for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna! I almost never wear purple, so it's a happy surprise that I have a new color to play with more in my wardrobe!

      Delete
  14. I just finished mine this morning, such a fun easy sew. I like your version with short sleeves. Good to know for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lauren, you look so cute in your t-shirt and jeans! And that hand embroidery is amazing!! I like to use 1/4" clear elastic to stabilize my knit seams. My serger has a special foot that feeds the elastic in while it serges the seam at the same time. Hope you are well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrina! I will have to try the elastic tip. I saw it on a few other knit tutorials, too. Although I will have to look into the special foot. I am well! I hope you are, too!

      I am going to Gretchen's Beacon retreat in a few weeks, and it's making me think of you often and the fun we had in California! Wish you were going to this one, too!

      Delete