Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dapper Day!

I hardly know where to begin! Dapper Day was beyond magical. It was a Disney and vintage-lover's dream. Today I'll tell you a bit about the day itself, and then soon I'll be posting up construction details and more photos of each of our dresses. 
We began our day with the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. It's a 5-hour backstage tour that takes you through a lot of history of the park as well as down into the underground system (called utilidor) that cast members use to get around the park. Andi and I have both been to the park several times, and it was really thrilling to get a deeper look behind the show. It was absolutely wonderful, and I highly recommend it.

As a result of the tour, we ended up getting into the park before it even opened. I practically cried with the excitement of it. We snapped a few photos before the park was overflowing with people, and there were a lot of people! A new parade debuted for the first time in about 12 years on Dapper Day, and boy it was crowded.
Our dresses turned out so wonderfully! I can't wait to show you them up close. I was tickled pink when people would accidentally mistake us for cast members. It made me feel like I was part of creating the magic for people that day! 
The first Dapper Day event was meeting at the Liberty Square Riverboat for a dandy ride. I can't imagine what it was like for people in the square, seeing this boat full of vintage-styled folks. It was stupendous to walk up to.
One couple even dressed up in black and white makeup. And they wore it all day! 
We also had a dashing ride on the carousel, another great sight to see. There was even a group of dapper men that sang along to the Aladdin songs as we rode round and round.
We finished the evening with after dapper drinks at the Grand Floridian, which is by far my favorite hotel on the property. My family stayed there for one evening three years ago when we went, and it holds some really special memories for me. There was a jazz band playing, and Andi and I ended up getting dinner at the garden cafe.

It was the perfect ending to the perfect day. Stay tuned Thursday to see all the sewing details of Andi's blue dress! 

24 comments:

  1. This is BEYOND! I'd never heard of Dapper Days before but it sounds like it captures the magic of Disney wonderfully. And the dresses look fab, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Prepare to see a lot more of them. I couldn't resist doing separate posts for everything. There was just too much to say!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, it really looks so magical! What a fun adventure. Love your dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasha! It really was an adventure. Such wonderful memories.

      Delete
  3. I'm converted! I would absolutely go to Disney for this one day. I'd better start saving my pennies! Do they do it at Disneyworld too?
    And holy smokes! A 5-HOUR tour? I hope you didn't have to walk the whole time. You both look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have to walk!! We looked so pathetic when we were leaving the park at the end of the day. We were hobbling like old ladies.

      This one actually was at Disney World, but they do a Disneyland version as well. It happens every spring and fall!

      Delete
    2. I don't know why I was under the impression you went to Disneyland. Did you get the typical mid-afternoon torrential downpour, complete with scary thunder and lightning? I figured you couldn't have walked the whole time because Andi has little kitten heels. But I also just noticed you have saddle shoes on in one photo. Where did you get yours? Mine a cheap payless ones but I want to get real leather ones and I'm trying to find a good brand.

      Delete
    3. Thankfully no rain! We changed shoes! We brought alternative ones in our backpack and just used the heels for fancy photos. I got my saddle shoes at Payless, too! I tried to find the real deal nicer type, but they ended up making me look like a clydesdale.These were actually pretty comfortable, considering all the crazy walking we did.

      Delete
  4. I've never been to Disney but this looks like the day I'd definitely want to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Disney is so marvelous anytime, but this day was especially special.

      Delete
  5. oh that's sounds so exciting! i've never been to Disneyland (its a huge deal if your an Aussie kid whose been, let me tell you!) I didn't know you could do the full tour - that's so cool!
    And I can just imagine those dapper lads singing 'a whole new world'. totally something I would have lost my marbles for!
    We have Luna Park in Sydney which would totally suit a Dapper day event! I'm just gonna send mental vibes their way and hope they have one soon.
    What an exciting day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! I I especially love the couple who did the black and white makeup -- that's really cool. And your dresses are darling. Can't wait to see more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexksandra! The makeup was so impressive!

      Delete
  7. You both look amazing and i'm blown away by the couple with the black and white make up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I know, right?! They looked perfect all day. I would have been smudged and melting!

      Delete
  8. Your dresses are fantastic, and you do look like you could have been in a Disney movie! Looks like loads of fun. Makes me want to whip up that fab vintage Chanel-style suit Emma Thompson wears in "Saving Mr. Banks."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a wonderful idea!! Last year at Dapper Day at Disneyland, they debuted that movie and had all sorts of fun themed stuff. Thank you for your wonderful compliment! I would love to be in a Disney movie!

      Delete
  9. It was such a joy to join you for this day -- and to be able to tell all our complimenters that you made the dresses! You added to the magic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is so very fun! I bet you just had a grand day. So much fun to see all the interesting people, I bet. Your friends and your dress are so pretty and I really loved seeing the black and white couple, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You lucky things, I want to go back to Disneyland SO bad!!
    Your dresses came out so well, you look absolutely perfect :)

    ReplyDelete