Are you ready to make a shift dress together? Let's sew Simplicity 3833, a great 1960s pattern reprint!
If you've been following along for a little while, I posed the idea of a shift dress sew along back in October when I finished sewing Simplicity 3833 for the second time. I love the pattern because it's a shapely shift dress, and a great look for us curvier gals that still want a 1960s vibe.
Skill Level
I would classify this pattern as an Advanced Beginner. You should know the basics of using your machine. It would help if you've sewn a garment before as I won't be covering things like how to place fabric on grain or read the pattern markings like notches. But I'm happy to answer any questions!
Need a little help getting to advanced beginner? These resources are free online and great:
- Learn to sew from Tilly and Buttons
- Sewing dictionary from Sewaholic
- The anatomy of a sewing pattern envelope from Me
- Understanding the basics of fit from Me
Schedule
We'll get starting sewing just after the New Year. Have a New Year's Resolution to start sewing or get back into it? Sew with us!
- December 31 - Inspiration from Catherine of Sewing the 60s
- Jan 2 - Selecting and Preparing Fabric
- Jan 7 - Pointers for Making a Muslin
- Jan 9 - How to do a Bust Adjustment
- Jan 14 - How to Modify the Pattern for Plus Sizes from Carolyn of Diary of a Sewing Fanatic
- Bonus Post from Melody Sews: Back, Shoulder, and Arm Adjustments
- Bonus Post from Melody Sews: Sway Back Adjustment
- Jan 16 - Stay Stitching and Tracing Darts
- Jan 20 - Assembling Bodice Front and Topstitching
- Jan 22 - Stitching Darts
- Jan 24 - Installing a Lapped Zipper by Machine
- Jan 27 - Attaching Facings
- Jan 29 - Sleeves
- Jan 31 - Hemming
Get Your Badge!
Copy/paste the code below onto your blog sidebar or in a post to let others know you're participating in the Shift Dress Sew Along!



Lovely to see you on video - you're so cute! And a great presenter, I might add :) This sewalong looks like a great idea.
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you, Tilly! I confess to having a small penchant for public speaking, but this was my very first video endeavor! I would love it if you could sew with us!
DeleteOh, I seriously need to make a couple shift dresses for work and keep getting sidetracked! I'm no good at sew alongs, but maybe I'll try again :)
ReplyDeleteYes, they're great for work! Please do try again! I tried to give lots of up front time before we started sewing so people had time to prepare. Hopefully it helps!
DeleteThis will be my first sew along and I am so excited! I've already bought the pattern. Thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! I'm so glad you're joining, Libby!
DeleteYay! I'm so excited to start! Your video was great too - you've got a real knack for it.
ReplyDeleteI'll need to go fabric shopping soon, but what fabric to choose??
Thanks, Catherine!! I know, there's almost too many options for fabric. I'm sure whatever you choose, it will be sensational!
DeleteOkay I've pulled my pattern out to look at and to make changes to! Will be linking to this post shortly!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Carolyn! I just loved your fabric post recently. Looks like you have lots of fun sewing in store for your sewcation!
DeleteI'm in! I've wanted to make this dress for while. BTW, I found your blog as a link from Kollabora, wherein I recognized you from the StitchLab Holiday Runway show. I'm a Stitch Lab regular so I'm sure I'll see you there at some point! - Tina LeBee
ReplyDeleteOh, wonderful!! I love the Stitch Lab! Hopefully we'll stitch together in person sometime soon, but glad to have you along for the sew along!
DeleteI had forgotten about this pattern. But the more I look at the line drawing, the more interested I become.Thanks for hosting a sew along. I would have never thought to try this pattern out on my own.
ReplyDeleteThat's great! Thanks for sewing with us!
DeleteThanks Lauren! I've had this pattern for ages, and now you've given me the boost I need to sew it up. I look forward to seeing what everyone makes!
ReplyDeleteMe too! It's a great little pattern.
DeleteI've always quite fancied this pattern, so seems like a good reason to join in :)
ReplyDeleteExcellent! I'm so glad you're sewing with us!
DeleteHmm... I have the original pattern that CarmencitaB gifted to me and I would love to make it too. Yea! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteSplendid! I found a great post that compares the original pattern and reprint. It might be helpful to you to keep in mind while you're working on fit: http://thestitchery.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/older-simplicity-sloper-compared-to-the-newer-retro-release/
DeleteThanks for this.... better go dig the pattern out!
DeleteHello, I'm an advanced beginner, and I'm really looking forward to having a go. I'm a knitter by choice; dressmaking is my 2014 goal.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to having you join us! I'm the reverse of you - I've decided to take up knitting this year. It's so much fun to branch into new crafts.
DeleteHi, I found your blog through Diary of a Sewing Fanatic and I love the idea of a shift dress sew along. This pattern is one of my favorites. I've already made 2 sleeveless versions for summer, but I'd love to make one with sleeves for work in the colder months. I'll be posting a link to the sew along on my blog. I can't wait to see all the beautiful shift dresses at the end of the month!
ReplyDeleteHi Shannon! I saw your pink version of Simplicity 3833! That's funny. Glad you're sewing with us!
DeleteExcited to join you all. Like Shannon, I heard about this through Carolyn, and ordered the pattern right away. Thanks for hosting, and I'm looking forward to seeing the creations. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteShelley
Excited to have you sewing with us, Shelley!
DeleteI have this pattern languishing in my stash, I just might have to sew along with you!
ReplyDeletePlease do! You have such beautiful construction Marrie, I'd love to see your version!
DeleteThis is one that I have had my eye on for a while. I've never done a sewalong before and just recently came across your post. Sounds like a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteErika
www.rejoicefortheday.com
It should be a ton of fun! I hope you'll join, Erika!
DeleteI'm in. I have the pattern in my stash and a ton of fabrics to choose from. Now, I just have to catch up.
ReplyDeleteGreat! We're just getting going, so hopefully catching up is quick!
Delete